I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:10-11

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Working out and Shining Bright




Sometimes when I encounter a familiar passage during my Bible study there is the temptation to skim over it quickly but I am so glad I stopped a while this week in Philippians 2:12-18 and unwrapped the words in this passage. Here are some things God spoke to me about:


v12-13 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Salvation and living the Christian life is a partnership with God. The gift of salvation is free to to accept because of the saving work of Christ on the cross, but it doesn't end there. We have to katergázomai: work out our salvation. It is the idea of working hard to the end. We are not saved just to be saved. With salvation comes a responsibility to fulfill the purposes of God, to persevere, to be involved. We cannot earn our salvation through our works, but we are to carry out the work of God once we are saved... and it is serious business, not to be taken lightly!

So now, that we know we are supposed to be working, how are we supposed to work, with what attitide?

v 14-15 Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe...

We are to do everything without complaining and arguing. I was convicted this week as I read these words... I am quick to throw this verse at the kids when they fuss about doing a chore, or getting their school work done, but what about in my own life? Do I do the work God has for me with a willing heart? Or do I grumble and complain when things get hard, when I am out of my comfort zone, when I have been called to serve others? I am in a season of life that is hard, it is busy, I am tired, sometimes I want to give up. But I can be pure and blameless in God's eyes and shine like a star if I just get on with the work God has given me to do. As I serve my family, teach my kids, care for my husband I am a shining star to those around me... pointing others towards the cross... bringing glory to God!


Now, what about you? What has God been teaching you as you dig into His Word? I pray you will be a shining star this week to those around you as you do the work God has for you to do!
Want more about Philippians... go over to Do Not Depart to join the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment