I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:10-11

Sunday, June 5, 2011

It's not about me

Week 3 of the Philippians study focused on Paul's desires as we studied chapter 1 verses 19-26.

Here are some notes I made through out the week:


vs. 19 

For I know that as you pray for me and the Spirit of Jesus Christ helps me, this will lead to my deliverance.

Power is supplied through prayer.  Paul expected that the Philippians church would pray for him. He was depending on their prayers.
Application:  Do I lift up my spiritual leaders in prayer? Am I faithful in my praying, can others depend on me to pray for them?

vs 21- 26
For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live.
Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain alive so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith. And when I come to you again, you will have even more reason to take pride in Christ Jesus because of what he is doing through me.

In this familiar passage what jumped out at me was the two objects of Paul's desires regarding his deliverance.  He knew he would be taken out of his present circumstance two ways... death or a physical release from captivity.

Death meant a departure from this physical, sinful earth to be with his Saviour, Jesus Christ his first object of desire.  He saw this process of death not a something to be feared but as the necessary  process to the ultimate reward of a fruitful Christian life- eternity with Christ. 

His second desire is for others... to live his life to point others towards Christ.  He knew his remaining in the flesh would be better for the spiritual development of others. 

What was glaringly absent to me, as I read and reread this passage several times throughout the week was any desire for his own comfort. His ambition in life was to please Christ and serve others.  Period.

Application:  So much of my time is spent seeking after things to make my own life comfortable, more enriched, more entertained... seeking that perfect life with access to all physical comforts available in this world.  

I should be focused on Christ first and then on serving others and pointing them towards Christ. 

Are my pursuits in life lined up with this truth or is my life being lived for myself?

My prayer is that when I depart this life, I will not have been all about me.

What has God been teaching you this week as you have studied his word?

1 comment:

  1. "What was glaringly absent to me, as I read and reread this passage several times throughout the week was any desire for his own comfort."

    Very astute observation Rusheika! Sometimes it is what is missing that is most powerful, isn't it?

    "I should be focused on Christ first and then on serving others and pointing them towards Christ. Are my pursuits in life lined up with this truth or is my life being lived for myself?"

    The alarming thing I find is how easy it is for selfishness to sneak in. Constant prayer is essential.

    Great commentary, thank you.

    ReplyDelete