I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:10-11

Friday, May 20, 2011

Verse by Verse, Word by Word...

 
I am studying the book of Philippians...
                     very slowly...

                      and memorizing it...
                                       even more slowly.

But I am enjoying every verse, every word.  It is  a complete change of pace from reading the bible in 90 days!  I I have been reading through chapter one for almost a month (trying to memorize it for even longer... this mommy brain is truly getting a work out!) 

Katie from Do Not Depart has started a Bible Study on the Book of Philippians.  The plan is to go through the book over 12 weeks using a study guide which you can find here on Inspired to Action.  In addition Katie will be sharing her thoughts on the weekly reading.

Here are some of my thoughts from this week's reading:

Phil: 1:1-4

1Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus,
To all the saints in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseersa and deacons:
2Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Thanksgiving and Prayer
3I thank my God every time I remember you. 4In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 

  1. vs 1 Paul saw himself as a servant of Jesus Christ- a servant,  (Greek: douloi) one who belongs to someone else with out ANY ownership rights of their own.I kept asking myself " Am I that committed to Christ?"  With Christ it is all or nothing, you can't be a partial servant.  My prayer is that I will completely surrender to Christ in EVERY area of my life.
  2. vs 2 My master is one who gives grace and peace:
    1. Grace- (Greek: charis)  means God freely extending himself--- giving himself    away to us.  Doesn't that paint a beautiful picture? That is exactly what Christ did on the cross- gave himself away.. how then can I not surrender to him?
    2. Peace- (Greek: eirene from eiro): to join/ into a whole.  Peace is God's gift of wholeness.  I LOVE THAT... I can be whole through God.  When I am stressed out, feeling overwhelmed, sick, tired...  I have to remember God makes me WHOLE!
  3. vs 3 Paul is thankful (Greek: eucharisteo) and joyful (Greek: chara) in his thankfulness. Notice the Greek?- Grace- charis, Joy- chara: both found in thankfulness- euCHARISteo.  I can find joy and grace in giving thanks.  It is no accident that I am reading Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts and keeping a gratitude journal at the same time that I am studying Philippians- that is truly God directed!
There was so much more I gleaned this week but don't have time to share!  Why don't you dig in for yourself and allow the Word to transform you.   God's word is truly ALIVE and becoming more and more precious to me... verse by verse, word by word.



Rusheika





2 comments:

  1. (Greek: eirene from eiro): to join/ into a whole. Peace is God's gift of wholeness.

    This is great! Love this reminder. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you pointed out the eucharisteo connection here. I missed that. I just finished reading Ann's book too and loved it.

    Verse 1 shows a strong commitment to me as well. The Greek doulos can be also translated "slave." Are we really willing to be slaves to Christ?

    So glad you're joining us at Do Not Depart. I'll look forward to more of your discoveries.

    ReplyDelete