I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:10-11

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Living sold out {with JOY}

Am I sold out for Christ?
       Would I be willing to be imprisoned for the sake of the gospel?
                          Is my goal in life to advance the gospel of Jesus Christ?
What is my motivation for ministry... love or selfish ambition?

These are some of the questions I faced this week as I continued my journey through Philippians.

The focus of week 2 was God’s Purpose in Paul’s Imprisonment :Philippians 1: 12- 18

Here are some truths I gleaned:
verses 12- 14
12Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. 13As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. 14Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.

Paul defended the gospel of Christ whatever it cost him and he served in a way that encouraged others to live life in the same manner-- courageously and fearlessly.

Is it clear to all around me that I live my life for Christ?  
Even during the challenging times? 
Are others encouraged to live for Christ by looking at my life?

 verses 15- 18
 15It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.c 18But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice

God's word is more powerful than human agenda and he can use any circumstance to bring glory and honour to himself.

Paul can rejoice even in hard times... his joy comes from serving God... it is a DECISION to be joyful (he has decided ahead of time that he will "continue to rejoice", not knowing what lies ahead).

What is my motivation for serving God?
                         LOVE or SELFISH AMBITION?
                                           Am I choosing to rejoice?
                                                 ... even during the challenging times?
                                                                         

Have you met with God this week? What has He taught you this week as you have dug into his Word?  Remember it is life changing!



Click here to see what others are learning on this journey through Philippians.



No comments:

Post a Comment